Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pastel Still Life Project



Objects of Inspiration

Pastel in Progess

Pastel in Progress

Pastel in Progess

I organized items I found from home in a very simple way, with some of the items sitting behind the others. Before I even started to use my pastels I made a thumbnail sketch. A thumbnail sketch is a small sketch an artist does to figure out what they wish to draw and how they would set it up. Some students in our class used viewfinders to help them figure out the composition of their pastel drawing; however, I did not find it helpful and just drew the items in the way that I had taken the picture.

To make some items appear dimensional I used darker colors to shade in places where there were shadows, lighter colors to shade in where the light was hitting an item, and I drew some items slightly smaller to give the appearance of it being further away. I had a balcony light as my light source, so all the items have light over top of them, making most of the shadows underneath and to the sides of items.












No comments:

Post a Comment